I came across this article yesterday and just loved it. Originally published by Inc. magazine, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg gives valuable advice about how to raise trail-blazing daughters! Popularly known as "Notorious RBG" for her fierce advocacy for women's rights, Ginsburg was the first tenured female professor at Columbia Law School, founder of the American Civil Liberties Union’s Women’s Rights Project, and second female Supreme Court justice, appointed by President Clinton in 1993.
Ginsburg, a daughter to immigrants, is the very definition of "trail-blazing" herself....from conquering several instances of gender-discrimination to knocking down barriers, Ginsburg cleared the path by walking it...all the while raising her children. If she's speaking, I'm definitely listening.
My journey is still long but I can say confidently that my mom did everything Ginsburg advises and more! We are just still waiting to see all its fruition lol! A part of me is blogging this, just so hopefully (and by God's grace) one day, my future daughter can find this and say the same :-)
Even though the advice was geared towards mothers raising daughters, it is valuable advice, no matter how old you are. Our mothers may have done their best to raise us to be outstanding women, but there is no limit to self-growth!
Here's to trail-blazing women, everywhere!
2. Teach them to be independent.
3. Encourage them to seek out great teachers.
4. Encourage them to turn a deaf ear when needed.
6. Teach them that they can make their own luck.
7. Pray that they marry the right person.
|The newlywed Ginsburgs in 1954|
If I were to use this to advise a grown woman (but still growing) like myself, I would say:
1. Read MORE books!
2. Regardless of which direction life pulls me, never loose trust in your independent capabilities!
3. Find good mentors who are where you want to be and stay in touch with them!
4. Not every rude comment requires a response at all. Focus on the goal!
5. Worrying never solved any problem. Stay focused!
6. You will never know unless you try!
7. Marry a partner who is your biggest cheerleader!
I'm Inspired. Are you?
Be Confident! Be Fierce! Be high-achieving!
||| Twitter @nwavicesq
Source: Article written by Inc. Magazine. All rights reserved by Inc. magazine.
Google Images. NY Times.